[R-G] Why I'm Posting Bail Money for Julian Assange - Michael Moore

Sid Shniad shniad at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 12:26:13 MST 2010

*From: *Michael Moore <maillist at michaelmoore.com>
*Date: *December 14, 2010 5:19:32 AM PST (CA)
*Subject: **Why I'm Posting Bail Money for Julian Assange (A Statement from
Michael Moore)*

Tuesday, December 14th, 2010

Friends,

Yesterday, in the Westminster Magistrates Court in London, the lawyers for
WikiLeaks co-founder Julian Assange presented to the judge a document from
me stating that I have put up $20,000 of my own money to help bail Mr.
Assange out of jail.

Furthermore, I am publicly offering the assistance of my website, my
servers, my domain names and anything else I can do to keep WikiLeaks alive
and thriving as it continues its work to expose the crimes that were
concocted in secret and carried out in our name and with our tax dollars.

We were taken to war in Iraq on a lie. Hundreds of thousands are now dead.
Just imagine if the men who planned this war crime back in 2002 had had a
WikiLeaks to deal with. They might not have been able to pull it off. The
only reason they thought they could get away with it was because they had a
guaranteed cloak of secrecy. That guarantee has now been ripped from them,
and I hope they are never able to operate in secret again.

So why is WikiLeaks, after performing such an important public service,
under such vicious attack? Because they have outed and embarrassed those who
have covered up the truth. The assault on them has been over the top:

**Sen. Joe Lieberman
says<http://middletownpress.com/articles/2010/12/10/news/doc4d024883a149a725770342.txt>WikiLeaks
"has violated the Espionage Act."

***The New Yorker*'s George Packer
calls<http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/georgepacker/2010/11/the-right-to-secrecy.html>Assange
"super-secretive, thin-skinned, [and] megalomaniacal."

**Sarah Palin claims
<http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=465212788434>he's "an
anti-American operative with blood on his hands" whom we should
pursue "with the same urgency we pursue al Qaeda and Taliban leaders."

**Democrat Bob Beckel (Walter Mondale's 1984 campaign manager)
said<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/07/fox-news-bob-beckel-calls_n_793467.html>about
Assange on Fox: "A dead man can't leak stuff ... there's only one way
to do it: illegally shoot the son of a bitch."

**Republican Mary Matalin says
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CXAiOmAJKs>"he's a psychopath, a
sociopath ... He's a terrorist."

**Rep. Peter A. King
calls<http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/2010/11/28/2010-11-28_media_unveils_classified_documents_via_wikileaks_website_in_explosive_release_of.html>WikiLeaks
a "terrorist organization."

And indeed they are! They exist to terrorize the liars and warmongers who
have brought ruin to our nation and to others. Perhaps the next war won't be
so easy because the tables have been turned -- and now it's Big Brother
who's being watched ... by us!

WikiLeaks deserves our thanks for shining a huge spotlight on all this. But
some in the corporate-owned press have dismissed the importance of WikiLeaks
("they've released little that's new!") or have painted them as simple
anarchists ("WikiLeaks just releases everything without any editorial
control!"). WikiLeaks exists, in part, because the mainstream media has
failed to live up to its responsibility. The corporate owners have decimated
newsrooms, making it impossible for good journalists to do their job.
There's no time or money anymore for investigative journalism. Simply put,
investors don't want those stories exposed. They like their secrets kept ...
as secrets.

I ask you to imagine how much different our world would be if WikiLeaks had
existed 10 years ago. Take a look at this
photo<http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/1607200/Getty-Images-News>.
That's Mr. Bush about to be handed a "secret" document on August 6th, 2001.
Its heading read: "Bin Ladin Determined To Strike in US." And on those pages
it said the FBI had discovered "patterns of suspicious activity in this
country consistent with preparations for hijackings." Mr. Bush decided to
ignore it and went fishing for the next four weeks.

But if that document had been leaked, how would you or I have reacted? What
would Congress or the FAA have done? Was there not a greater chance that
someone, somewhere would have done something if all of us knew about bin
Laden's impending attack using hijacked planes?

But back then only a few people had access to that document. Because the
secret was kept, a flight school instructor in San Diego who noticed that
two Saudi students took no interest in takeoffs or landings, did nothing.
Had he read about the bin Laden threat in the paper, might he have called
the FBI? (Please read this
essay<http://articles.latimes.com/2010/oct/15/opinion/la-oe-rowley-wikileaks-20101015>by
former FBI Agent Coleen Rowley, Time's 2002 co-Person of the Year,
about
her belief that had WikiLeaks been around in 2001, 9/11 might have been
prevented.)

Or what if the public in 2003 had been able to read "secret" memos from Dick
Cheney as he pressured the CIA to give him the "facts" he wanted in order to
build his false case for war? If a WikiLeaks had revealed at that time that
there were, in fact, no weapons of mass destruction, do you think that the
war would have been launched -- or rather, wouldn't there have been calls
for Cheney's arrest?

Openness, transparency -- these are among the few weapons the citizenry has
to protect itself from the powerful and the corrupt. What if within days of
August 4th, 1964 -- after the Pentagon had made up the lie that our ship was
attacked by the North Vietnamese in the Gulf of Tonkin -- there had been a
WikiLeaks to tell the American people that the whole thing was made up? I
guess 58,000 of our soldiers (and 2 million Vietnamese) might be alive
today.

Instead, secrets killed them.

For those of you who think it's wrong to support Julian Assange because of
the sexual assault allegations he's being held for, all I ask is that you
not be naive about how the government works when it decides to go after its
prey. Please -- never, ever believe the "official story." And regardless of
Assange's guilt or innocence (see the strange nature of the
allegations here<http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6B669H20101207>),
this man has the right to have bail posted and to defend himself. I have
joined with filmmakers Ken Loach and John Pilger and writer Jemima Khan in
putting up the bail money -- and we hope the judge will accept this and
grant his release today.

Might WikiLeaks cause some unintended harm to diplomatic negotiations and
U.S. interests around the world? Perhaps. But that's the price you pay when
you and your government take us into a war based on a lie. Your punishment
for misbehaving is that someone has to turn on all the lights in the room so
that we can see what you're up to. You simply can't be trusted. So every
cable, every email you write is now fair game. Sorry, but you brought this
upon yourself. No one can hide from the truth now. No one can plot the next
Big Lie if they know that they might be exposed.

And that is the best thing that WikiLeaks has done. WikiLeaks, God bless
them, will save lives as a result of their actions. And any of you who join
me in supporting them are committing a true act of patriotism. Period.

I stand today in absentia with Julian Assange in London and I ask the judge
to grant him his release. I am willing to guarantee his return to court with
the bail money I have wired to said court. I will not allow this injustice
to continue unchallenged.

Yours,
Michael Moore
MMFlint at aol.com <mmflint at aol.com>
MichaelMoore.com <http://www.MichaelMoore.com>

P.S. You can read the statement I filed today in the London court
here<http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/mike-in-the-news/witness-statement-of-michael-moore>.

P.P.S. If you're reading this in London, please go support Julian Assange
and WikiLeaks at a
demonstration<http://stopwar.org.uk/content/view/2187/1/>at 1 PM
today, Tuesday the 14th, in front of the Westminster court.