[R-G] Nicaragua Delegation (March 9-17, 2002) -- Witness for Peace
furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Oct 13 12:38:48 MDT 2001
From: "Ross Meyer" <meyerrp at muohio.edu>
Subject: Spring Nicaragua Delegation
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 22:09:38 -0400
i am coordinating this national delegation to nicaragua in the spring
through witness for peace. i would greatly appreciate it if you
could forward this to anyone interested or include it in any
Witness for Peace
Labor Rights and Economic Justice Nicaragua Delegation
The Struggles and Successes of Nicaraguan Workers, Women, and Families
March 9 - 17, 2002
On this trip, you will have the unique opportunity to:
* Meet with maquiladora workers and hear about their struggles for
better working conditions and a living wage
* Meet with NGOs, workers, and management of the agricultural sector
* Visit a factory in Managua's Free Trade Zone and possibly visit an
* Talk with labor organizers about recent attacks on unions in
factories that export to U.S. department stores and the struggles of
* Discuss labor issues with factory management
* Stay with a Nicaraguan family and learn about life in the developing world
* See for yourself the realities of globalization and free-market reform
* Learn about accomplishments of women in Nicaraguan society
* Join us and help form a cross-border solidarity movement for workers rights!
By working in close collaboration with workers and civil society,
Witness for Peace strives to educate North Americans about the
impacts of corporate practices and US foreign policies upon the
people of Nicaragua. By joining this delegation, you will put your
hands and voices to work for justice!
The cost will be $660.00 plus airfare. This includes all meals,
accommodations, facilitation, translation, and transportation in
Nicaragua. In addition, the fee covers an orientation/training
session, and extensive reading materials, and action tools
distributed both before and after the delegation.
Scholarship funds are available, but limited. Fundraising
consultation is available. Applicants needing financial assistance
have a very successful track record of raising the needed funds.
Application deadline: January 1, 2002
Contact for more information or an application:
327 Peabody Hall
701 Western College Dr.
Oxford, OH 45056
MEYERRP at muohio.edu <mailto:MEYERRP at muohio.edu>
Witness for Peace (WFP) is a politically independent, grassroots
organization. We are people committed to nonviolence and led by
faith and conscience. Our mission is to support peace, justice, and
sustainable economies in the Americas by changing US policies and
corporate practices that contribute to poverty and oppression in
Latin America and the Caribbean.
We stand with people who seek justice.
More information about the Rad-Green