[Marxism] Charles Glass on Nasrallah in the London Review of Books

Sayan Bhattacharyya ok.president+marxmail at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 21:41:15 MDT 2006

The following letter was published in the current issue of the London
Review of Books:

>From Charles Glass

Eugene Goodheart asks whether I am familiar with two statements he
attributes to Hizbullah's secretary-general, Sayed Hassan Nasrallah
(Letters, 7 September). Goodheart uses the inflammatory quotations to
accuse Nasrallah of being 'an anti-semite with fantasies of genocide'.
If I am unfamiliar with the statements, it is because they are in all
likelihood fabrications. The first ('If they [the Jews] all gather in
Israel it will save us the trouble of going after them worldwide') was
circulated widely on neo-con websites, which give as its original
source an article by Badih Chayban in Beirut's English-language Daily
Star on 23 October 2002. It seems that Chayban left the Star three
years ago and moved to Washington. The Star's managing editor writes
of Chayban's article on Nasrallah, that 'I have faith in neither the
accuracy of the translation [from Arabic to English] nor the agenda of
the translator [Chayban].' The editor-in-chief and publisher of the
Star, Jamil Mrowe, adds that Chayban was 'a reporter and briefly local
desk sub and certainly did not interview Nasrallah or anyone else.'
The account of Nasrallah's speech in the Lebanese daily As Safir for
the same day makes no reference to any anti-semitic comments.
Goodheart's second quotation – 'They [the Jews] are a cancer which is
liable to spread at any moment' – comes from the Israeli government's
website at http://tinyurl.com/99hyz. For the record, a Hizbullah
spokeswoman, Wafa Hoteit, denies that Nasrallah made either statement.

Goodheart wonders whether, as a former captive of Hizbullah, I may
have succumbed to Stockholm syndrome; may I ask in return whether he
is succumbing to the disinformation that passes for scholarship and
journalism in certain quarters in the United States?

Charles Glass
Paris

London Review of Books
<http://www.lrb.co.uk/v28/n19/letters.html>