[A-List] Greece: MI6 Chief Recalled To Britain, Photo Printed In Paper
tal at interlynx.net
Sat Jan 7 16:38:06 MST 2006
----- Original Message -----
From: Rick Rozoff
To: Stop NATO
Sent: Thursday, January 05, 2006 9:45 PM
Subject: [stopnato] Greece: MI6 Chief Recalled To Britain, Photo Printed In
The Times (London)
January 6, 2006
Paper publishes photo of 'MI6 chief'
By John Carr
British security officials have condemned the Greek
press as grossly irresponsible for printing the image
A leading Greek newspaper has published a photograph
of the alleged MI6 station chief in Athens who was
reportedly involved in the abduction and torture of
Pakistani migrant workers as part of the investigation
into the July 7 bombings.
The alleged British spy has already been recalled to
Whitehall after his name was carried by the Greek
media last month. Senior British security officials
have condemned the publication of the picture as
grossly irresponsible, saying that it could endanger
the man’s life.
The left-of-centre daily Elef-therotypia carried a
picture of a middle-aged man in shorts and T-shirt
taking part in a marathon race. He is shown squinting
in the sunlight, his face contorted with effort.
The paper said that the photograph was given to it by
a Greek lawyer acting for 28 Pakistanis who claim to
have been abused during their interrogation. The
lawyer, Frangiskos Rangoussis, also gives details of
the MI6 agent’s apparent role in this extraordinary
The agent was identified this week in a British
periodical. This latest disclosure comes after Jack
Straw spoke at length to his opposite number in Athens
about the controversy.
The Foreign Secretary has robustly denied that any
British officers played any role in the alleged arrest
or interrogation of terrorist suspects in Greece. Nor,
he added, did the British Government ask the Greek
police to detain these men.
Diplomatic sources in Athens suggest that the two
ministers talked about how to deal with press
speculation about the episode. In their telephone
conversation on Tuesday Petros Molyviatis told Mr
Straw that he intended to make a public statement this
week, giving details of his own inquiry into the
The source said: “The minister wants to clear the air
as to what did or didn’t happen.”
The migrant workers say that a week after the London
attacks, which killed 52 passengers on three Tube
trains and a bus, they were seized from their homes.
The men say that they were hooded while they were
taken to interrogation centres, where they were beaten
and their lives threatened by British officers, who
questioned them about telephone calls linked to the
four suicide bombers. A week later all the men were
released without charge.
The incident is scheduled to be debated in the Greek
parliament next week. In the latest twist, a Greek
opposition leader last night accused the Greek
Government of attempting to cover up the incident.
Alekos Alavanos, the leader of the Left Coalition,
made his remarks after being briefed by Costas
Karamanlis, the Prime Minister.
Mr Alavanos said that the Public Order Minister should
“come clean” over the incident. The Government has
made no official statement on the matter since
Yahoo! DSL – Something to write home about.
Just $16.99/mo. or less.
SPONSORED LINKS Military loan Military loan company Military loan personal
North atlantic treaty organization American government and politics
YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
Visit your group "stopnato" on the web.
To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
stopnato-unsubscribe at yahoogroups.com
Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
More information about the A-List